21 October 2010

The fairer sex

The inequality between the sexes is without doubt a well trodden path of discussion. However, new shores have cast new light upon my own musings.


Never have I ever felt more visible, more white and more female than during my time here in Gwad. Guadeloupian men for the most part are Afro- Caribbean, extremely forward, beyond confident and fond of whistling, howling and hissing at European women as they innocently pass by. At first I made the mistake of smiling at the odd one, soon realising that even a tiny twitch of the mouth is an open invitation to unbridled harassment. I kid yo not.


A fairly reliable Guadeloupian male source informed me that there is one lady who earns the respect of the guys here in an instant. With just one note of her growly vocal chords, Lady Saw keeps the men of the Carribean in line. Queen of the dancehall, the guys do not mess. I'm never going to master her sexual confidence or her aggressively commanding stage presence, but I will continue to admire the women who put these guys in their place. 






I won't be pining after her lycra dresses, fishnets and Cleopatra weave though...

No comments:

Post a Comment